Visual and Graphic Design Intern
Position Start Date: January 2019
This position is offered in part by the MaRS Student Work Placement program, which connects post-secondary students with work placements in technology and business.
About the companySupports Health is a fresh startup changing the landscape of mental health care. If you're a hustler, a changemaker, or just really good at what you do and are looking for a challenge, this opportunity is for you. Some milestones of the company so far - We're funded by the federal, provincial and London municipal governments, alumni of the Next36 program and the Ontario Brain Institute, and conducting research McGill University. Our advisory board includes senior executives from Scotiabank, Manulife and The Cooperators.
Visual & Graphic Design InternThe Visual and Graphic Design Intern will be responsible for owning every aspect of the visual representation of Supports Health, from brand re-design through to colours and widgets in the app. They will work with the founding team to establish Supports Health as a leader in depression, anxiety and caregiver support in Canada. Their day will be split between designing beautiful sketches and graphics for the app, working on marketing materials, and advising on the Supports Health brand development. Because the work of the Visual and Graphic Design Intern is broad and ongoing, at the beginning of the internship, and each month following, the intern will meet with the CEO to create (and then revise) a clear workplan and objectives for the month.
What you’ll do:
- Visual design for branding: Work directly with the founding team to create a new brand for the app. This will include a “start from scratch” approach in deciding colours, logo, font, and all other marketing collateral. You’ll learn how to take a company from hand sketched ideas through to finished beautiful brand.
- Marketing materials: You’ll work directly with the CEO and marketing intern to create beautiful graphics for both print and digital media, that clearly convey the look, feel and message the company is trying to convey.
- User experience: You will be the creative genius that makes the Supports Health app stunning. Your keen eye for visual style and the emotion the right illustration can get across will guide the user experience we create through our app.
What you’ll bring:
- Passion for creating immersive art experiences
- Visual artist with experience across paper and digital mediums
- Graphic design (Adobe Suite preferred)
- Experience in startups or marketing preferred
- Passion for mental health (bonus points if you know what “behavioural therapy” is)
- You are highly autonomous and adaptable, simply put, you get things done.
- When you see an opportunity to create value and you jump on it, regardless of whether it’s “in your job description”
- You’re a highly collaborative person that feels excited by working in an environment that scales at the speed of light.