Toronto, May 17, 2010 – 3D imaging. Online gaming. Life-changing medical devices.
Leading-edge technology takes the spotlight for the next two days at Discovery 2010, one of Canada’s foremost innovation and commercialization events.
Eleven of MaRS’ client companies will be among the Ontario ventures presenting their products, services and technologies as part of Discovery’s company showcase. The conference draws more than 2,000 delegates to the Metro Toronto Convention Centre for two days of demos, keynotes, panel discussions and industry networking, presented by the Ontario Centres of Excellence.
Discovery’s company showcase is designed to connect industry and research, entrepreneur and financier, student and mentor, all with the goal of speeding innovation to market. “These companies represent a new generation of innovation that will power the new economy in Ontario,” says Peter Evans, MaRS Advisor, Information Technology, Communications and Entertainment (ICE). “We’re very proud to showcase leading companies from across the province that represent key areas of growth for Ontario.”
Each of the 11 client companies have worked extensively with MaRS Advisory Services, which provides a comprehensive range of business services to Ontario entrepreneurs, helping them refine their product development, market launch and financing strategies. MaRS advisors currently work with more than 500 companies, primarily start-ups, across all sectors, including information technology, communications and entertainment (ICE), life sciences, cleantech and social-purpose businesses.
“We are strongly committed to helping Ontario’s talented entrepreneurs take their promising discoveries and products to global markets. These companies will fuel our economy in the future,” says MaRS CEO Dr. Ilse Treurnicht. “Over the past year we have more than doubled our network of advisors, primarily through volunteers. These advisors put their deep industry experience and strong networks to work for the success of our client companies.”
Discovery offers companies the ability to increase market visibility with potential reference customers, investors, industry analysts and other key opinion leaders in major markets.
MaRS clients at Discovery 10:
Information and communications technology
- Bitstrips (www.bitstrips.com)
- Infonaut (www.infonaut.ca)
- InGamer (www.ingamerfantasy.com)
- Verold (www.verold.com)
Life sciences and health care
- MedCurrent (www.medcurrent.com)
- Somnaform (www.somnaform.com)
- Therapeutic Monitoring Systems (www.therapeuticmonitoring.com)
- Better the World (www.bettertheworld.com)
MaRS advisors, partners and clients are participating in several other events at Discovery 2010, including panel discussions:
The top myths that mislead entrepreneurs
- Moderator: Tony Redpath, Vice President, Partner Programs, MaRS
- Panelists: Krista Jones, Advisor and Practice Lead, Information Technology, Communications and Entertainment, MaRS; Dr. John McCulloch, Advisor, Life Sciences and Health Care, MaRS; Tom Rand, Practice Lead, Cleantech, MaRS.
Key practices in international commercialization
- Panelist: Dr. Rafi Hofstein, President and CEO, MaRS Innovation
Leadership collaboration for a green economy—Making it work
- Panelist: Debbie Baxter, VP Corporate Sustainability & Facilities Management, Chief Sustainability Officer, Loyalty One and MaRS volunteer advisor
Ontario entrepreneurs making a difference in solar technology
- Nicolas Morgan, VP Business Development and Marketing, Morgan Solar and client of MaRS Advisory Services
For the full Discovery 2010 conference agenda, visit: www.ocediscovery.com
About MaRS Discovery District
MaRS Discovery District (www.marsdd.com) is a mission driven innovation centre, located in Toronto and networked across Ontario, focused on building Canada’s next generation of high growth technology and social purpose businesses.
Director of Communications
MaRS Discovery District