CEO: Asif Ansari
Sub-sector: Power Generation
Year founded: 2007
Morgan Solar develops highly efficient, low-cost solar power technologies that are competitive with traditional sources of energy generation. All of the company’s technologies combine highly innovative non-imaging optics with off-the-shelf manufacturing processes, many of which are borrowed from decades of cost-reduction advancements in the automotive sector.
Morgan Solar’s first products to market are the Sun Simba high-concentration solar panel and the Savanna dual-axis tracker. Sun Simba is designed to capture and concentrate sunlight itself (instead of capturing merely the sun’s image, like other technologies), eliminating the need for the focal depth and bulky enclosures typical of other systems. This means that Sun Simba’s structures are thin, highly durable, versatile and very cost-effective. Sun Simba will be sold as part of a turnkey solar power system, which includes Savanna, a dual-axis tracking system that follows both the sun’s daily east-west path and seasonal changes in its elevation, increasing yields by 25 to 40%. Savanna, however, is also sold separately, and can be mounted interchangeably with almost any standard commercial crystalline silicon photovoltaic panel. Morgan Solar also provides the engineering support and training required for customers to successfully use these systems in the field. This includes site planning and site design work, as well as engineering support for deployment and commissioning.
- News & Insights: Better, faster, cheaper with Morgan Solar
- News & Insights: #ICYMI: Recent MaRS venture news
- News & Insights: 21st-century cage match: the Cleantech Bulls versus the Climate Bear
- News & Insights: MaRS clients clean up at CleanTech North 2011
- Press Release: MaRS client Morgan Solar closes $16.5 million in first tranche of series B funding
- News & Insights: Toronto entrepreneurs: You are not alone!
- MaRS Video: Meet the Entrepreneurs: Cleantech – Entrepreneurship 101 2010/11
- Press Release: Founder and ex-CEO of eSolar Asif Ansari takes the helm of Canadian start-up Morgan Solar
- MaRS Video: Morgan Solar – Meet the Entrepreneurs